Join us for ice skating!
What could be more natural than skiing and skating together? North Carolina’s only Zamboni maintained ice rink. Appalachian Ski Mtn. offers an outdoor ice skating arena as the perfect complement to our slopes. Located in a spectacular scenic setting overlooking the ski slopes on one side, and the Blue Ridge Mountains on the other, the outdoor ice arena has a refrigerated ice floor, and is fully lighted for skating under the stars seven nights a week. Skaters and non-skaters can watch the action and warm up by our rinkside bonfire. We offer skate rentals in traditional figure skates, as well as hockey skates.
Skating is offered 3 sessions weather permitting:
- Noon – 2pm
- 2:30pm – 4:30pm
- 7pm – 9pm
Skating is $14 / session, which includes complimentary skate rental if needed.
Don’t forget our Moonlight skating sessions on New Year’s Eve. The rink is closed Christmas Eve night. Skate rentals are available in both figure skates as well as hockey skates. Figure Skate sizes: infant sz. 6 – mens sz.15. Hockey skates are $3.00 extra and are offered in unisex sizes: 4 – 14. Group rates and birthday packages are available. Individual and group lessons are available by appointment. Call 1-800-322-2373 or email us for details.
For your safety, please download and read the following PDFs:
- Download the Appalachian Ice Arena Rules & Guidelines
- Download the Skater Responsibility Code & Risk Agreement
SKATER RESPONSIBILITY CODE OF CONDUCT AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK AGREEMENT
Skaters agree to and accept responsibility for all of the following:
- Maintain reasonable control of your speed, course and direction. Do not skate in groups. Do not stop where you obstruct other skaters.
- Read and abide by all posted signs and warnings and cooperate with the arena staff.
- Maintain a proper lookout to avoid other skaters, objects, or conditions on the ice surface. Report any hazards to arena staff.
- Accept responsibility for knowing the range of your ability while on skates; skate within the limits of that ability and as appropriate to the session on which you are skating.
- Refrain from skating while under the influence of drugs, alcohol or other control impairing substances.
- Leave the ice surface when resurfacing maintenance is taking place. Keep exits clear and do not sit on the dasher boards. Before getting on the rink, look for oncoming skaters.
- Refrain from taking food or drink onto the rink surface or the surrounding dasher or caprail. Do not carry children or items while skating.
- Refrain from acting in a manner that may cause or contribute to injury of yourself or any other person.
- Refrain from throwing or leaving objects on the rink surface.
- Refrain from instigating or becoming involved in any type of altercation with any other skater or spectator.
Assumption of Risk Agreement
By engaging in skating, skaters are deemed to have knowledge of and assume the inherent risks of skating, which include but are not limited to the following:
- Injuries that result from collisions or contact with other skaters.
- Injuries that result from falls.
- Injuries that involve objects or artificial structures that are properly within the intended path of travel of the skater.
- Ice conditions that may change over the course of the session and/or day due to temperature, weather and skater traffic.