Appalachian Ski Mtn. Volunteer Mountain Host Program
General Program Description
The Mountain Host position is designed to provide an enhanced level of customer service above and beyond what other staff members may be able to offer. Hosts are comprised of volunteers who may ski or snowboard and actively find ways to provide a memorable and exceptional Appalachian Ski Mtn. guest experience, both in the lodge and on the slopes.
Mountain Hosts are affiliated with the Appalachian Ski Patrol and frequently assist with patrol efforts. The volunteer Mountain Host program can also be the entry point for individuals interested in becoming candidates with our volunteer Ski Patrol program. The program is structured to provide a venue for exposure to the National Ski Patrol (NSP) organization and potential membership in the Appalachian Ski Patrol organization.
- Neatly groomed appearance
- Great communication skills
- Desire to actively help others
- 8 hours of training
- Sign up for 8 duty days (approximately 2 per month) from opening through March 24
- 2 of these days between December 22 and January 3
- 1 day on MLK or President’s Day Saturday through Monday
- 5 other peak Saturdays or Sundays
- Skiing / snowboarding ability helpful but not required
Duties / Typical Day
The Mountain Host Program is a structured day involving varied duty stations. These duty areas may include, but are not limited to: greeter, rental equipment fitting, assisting Ski Patrol with safety efforts, incidents and patient logistics, marketing surveys, base area and on-slope customer assistance. Duty day starts at 8:45am and ends at 4:45pm. Hosts will sign-in at the Ski Patrol room and the main office, and pick up a radio. On sign-up days, hosts will report to a designated duty station in the lodge for the first 2 hours, and then rotate between active lodge and on-snow guest assistance for the remainder of the shift. On non-signup volunteer days, hosts will pick up a radio, if available, and be on-call for assistance as needed.
- Complimentary skiing
- Season pass for spouse or significant other (does not apply to children)
- Complimentary ice skating
- ½ price rentals for spouse or significant other
- Discounts in Alpine Ski Shop, gift shop & restaurant
- Daily locker space
- Mountain host vest, nametag and jacket provided (jacket must be returned at the end of the season)
To Get Involved
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or call us: (828) 295-7828
You can also stop by the main office in the lodge
Interested applicants must fill out a physical application in person in the Main Office to be considered.