The Appalachian Ice Arena is Open for the 2019-20 Season
What could be more natural than skiing and skating together? North Carolina’s only Zamboni maintained outdoor ice rink. Appalachian Ski Mtn. offers an outdoor ice skating arena as the perfect complement to our slopes. Located in a spectacular scenic setting overlooking the ski slopes on one side, and the Blue Ridge Mountains on the other, the outdoor ice arena has a refrigerated ice floor, and is fully lighted for skating under the stars seven nights a week. Skaters and non-skaters can watch the action and warm up by our rinkside bonfire. We offer skate rentals in traditional figure skates, as well as hockey skates.
Figure Skate Package (ticket, skate rental, helmet)
Weekend / Holiday: $21
Hockey Skate Package (ticket, skate rental, helmet)
Weekend / Holiday: $23
Holidays are (Nov 28-29, Dec 19 – Jan 1, Jan 20, Feb 17)
3 sessions weather permitting:
Noon – 2pm
2:30pm – 4:30pm
7pm – 9pm
Don’t forget our Moonlight skating sessions on New Year’s Eve and President’s Day Saturday (Feb 15) from 9:30-11:30pm. The rink is closed Christmas Eve night. Skate rentals are available in both figure skates as well as hockey skates. Figure Skate sizes: infant sz. 6 – mens sz.15. Hockey skates are $3.00 extra and are offered in unisex sizes: 4 – 14. Group rates and birthday packages are available. Individual and group lessons are available by appointment. Call 1-800-322-2373 or email us for details.
For your safety, please download and read the following PDFs:
- Download the Appalachian Ice Arena Rules & Guidelines
- Download the Skater Responsibility Code & Risk Agreement
Private Ice Skating Instruction is now available Thursdays – Sundays during normal operating hours (12 noon – 9pm). To schedule a lesson, call our Main Office at 828-295-7828.
Price: $40 for 1/2 hour lesson
Instructor: Lea Saleski
Lea Saleski is a senior at Appalachian State. Winter sports such as ice hockey and classic ice skating have been her passion since she was a kid and she is eager to share this spirit with aspiring ice skaters of all ages.
The Appalachian Ice Arena is excited to offer a special “Locals” session every Tuesday & Thursday from 2:30 – 4:30. Present your ID showing you are a Watauga County resident and get 1/2 off your Ice Skating session!
Ice Skating Birthday Parties
First, choose the session you would like to attend. We offer 3 ice skating sessions a day, 7 days a week:
$8.00 per person, and the birthday skater is Free!
*To qualify for the birthday party rate of $8.00 per person, you must have at least 10 people (including the birthday skater).
Please book your child’s birthday party at least 48 hours in advance or one week in advance if you wish to book the Party Hero.
*To make a reservation or inquire about group rates, please call 1-800-322-2373
SKATER RESPONSIBILITY CODE OF CONDUCT AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK AGREEMENT
Skaters agree to and accept responsibility for all of the following:
- Maintain reasonable control of your speed, course and direction. Do not skate in groups. Do not stop where you obstruct other skaters.
- Read and abide by all posted signs and warnings and cooperate with the arena staff.
- Maintain a proper lookout to avoid other skaters, objects, or conditions on the ice surface. Report any hazards to arena staff.
- Accept responsibility for knowing the range of your ability while on skates; skate within the limits of that ability and as appropriate to the session on which you are skating.
- Refrain from skating while under the influence of drugs, alcohol or other control impairing substances.
- Leave the ice surface when resurfacing maintenance is taking place. Keep exits clear and do not sit on the dasher boards. Before getting on the rink, look for oncoming skaters.
- Refrain from taking food or drink onto the rink surface or the surrounding dasher or caprail. Do not carry children or items while skating.
- Refrain from acting in a manner that may cause or contribute to injury of yourself or any other person.
- Refrain from throwing or leaving objects on the rink surface.
- Refrain from instigating or becoming involved in any type of altercation with any other skater or spectator.
Assumption of Risk Agreement
By engaging in skating, skaters are deemed to have knowledge of and assume the inherent risks of skating, which include but are not limited to the following:
- Injuries that result from collisions or contact with other skaters.
- Injuries that result from falls.
- Injuries that involve objects or artificial structures that are properly within the intended path of travel of the skater.
- Ice conditions that may change over the course of the session and/or day due to temperature, weather and skater traffic.